5 Foods That Increase Milk Supply
by Yashi Gupta
Every mother who is currently breastfeeding is often clouded with plenty of questions pertaining to what is healthy to eat during the lactation time. What will help produce more milk, what nutrition is necessary to be added in the diet? Lactation queries are plenty and so are the myths surrounding them, let’s bust the myths and gain an understanding on what works best for the nursing mothers and their infant.
- Oats – Oats are highly beneficial in producing more milk, they are rich in iron and a great source which helps increase the red blood cells in the blood. This helps the women who are currently suffering from post pregnancy anemia. This comfort food brings the red blood cell levels to optimum and helps with producing more blood. Oatmeal are enriched with nutrients, the super food is a great breakfast and it soothing property makes it a great food which lowers the stress level to a great extent.
- Fenugreek – The common herb is a great supplement which causes simulation of milk ducts which helps with milk ejection. The effects of this magical herb are visible within 24 hours to 72 hours. There are different ways of consuming it. You can boil the herb in tea and consume for quick effects. Fenugreek is also available in form of supplement capsule. It is a major ingredient in the lactation cookies present and sold widely for breastfeeding mothers. The herb can be flavored with honey, sugar, agave, stevia, or even lemon. The more concentrated the tea is the more effective it will be.
- Spinach & Beet leaves – Spinach and beet leaves are rich in iron, calcium, and great source of folic acid. It is important that you first boil the spinach well, as boiling will help prevent any food-borne illness. These magic potion eatables make the baby strong. It helps increase the milk quantity to aid breastfeeding moms. The detoxifying properties of spinach and beet leaves make these great to be consumed during pregnancy. You can add the leaves to your regular soup, not only will these enhance the taste of the soup but also add in healthy benefits. If you don’t like soups, then you can add it to your breakfast in the paranthas, mix the leaves in the dough to make chapattis. You must keep in mind that every food item must be eaten in moderation, overeating can be fatal in any case, spinach in particular can cause diarrhea to the baby.
- Garlic – Garlic is considered as a great food which contributes majorly in enhancing the milk production in breastfeeding mothers. Garlic is not just a great food but it is also a famous taste enhancer, which easily escalates the taste of any dish. If your baby is suffering from colic, garlic can help too. You can add in a few garlic cloves to your soup, add them to your dish, or stir fry garlic cloves with ghee and add them to steamed rice.
- Almonds and nuts – Almonds, walnuts, groundnuts, macadamia nuts, are all great source of omega 3 and Vitamin E. the protein fiber and antioxidants present in the famous healthy snack munchies, makes these ideal for breastfeeding mothers. The presence of omega 3 greatly boosts the hormones which help in milk production. You can add almonds or nuts to your bowl of oatmeal, or just eat handful of these everyday but be sure to keep the quantity controlled and managed. Don’t go overboard with it.
Women eat certain foods which are right for the breastfeeding mums, as they help increase the supply of milk in lactating mothers. We are sure this informative article provided you the much needed information on the eatables that help produce more milk.